OBD l scanner for 1997 F-250HD (OBS) where to find one

Discussion in '1992 - 1996 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum' started by Ish, Apr 20, 2018.

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >
  1. Ish

Looking for a scanner that fits my 97 (OBS) F-250HD. I have a scanner that fits 81-95, however, the 95 DOES NOT fit my 97, duh!. I "thought" most of these OBS from 92-97 are the same, they aren't, specifically for 97 that has the 460 in it. My truck is an OBD l scanner. Everyone says OBD ll was used on 96 +, EXCEPT for 97 with the old body style. Bottom line is I can't find a scanner that fits my 97 with OBD l connection, where do I find one without breaking the bank?, I'm a novice at this so hang in there with me!!!!!!

Tags:
  2. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

I have an otc. scanner I bought about 2000 or so. ... it works on them . You might find an older scanner at a pawn shop or on eBay. ...
    Just a thought. .....

3. Ish

Ok, thanks!!!!

4. Ish

Ok, thanks!!!!

5. FTZ HAIC Staff Member Oregon Chapter Founding Member

6. JWC 3 TOTM Winner Founding Member

Good advice. But that won't give you live data.

7. Seabiscuit Volunteer Moderator Vet Zone Vet Zone Leader Oregon Chapter Founding Member

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I have been told many times by different Ford and non Ford Techs that 1996 was the first year for ODBII ports on our rigs and the first "crossover" year for the programming.

You should have an ODB II port just to the right of center under the dash. I have a Scan Gauge II plugged into mine and it as well as the computer IS NOT fully compliant with OBD II. I've never checked further to find out what type of "personal garage" scanner in an affordable range would cover the 96 era computer. I do not know what implementations were made by Ford between the 96 and 97 Model Years.

I worked with the Scan Gauge II people trying to get programming codes that would work as most of the 'canned' custom programming codes that came in the box would not. (Part of the Sales Pitch was if it didn't work out of the box or with additional supplied codes, they would help develop programming codes to make it work.)

We Got some function to work, but not all. It tells me I have 24 codes in memory with no corresponding dummy lights. Ford says there are no active codes and no stored codes. The Scan Gauge II tech people finally sent an email telling me that my 96 F250 PSD was just not fully compatible with ODB II and there was nothing they could do. (Even the adds and sales pitch says it is fully compatible and I could get custom programming to make things read out) One example is Transmission Temp. SG II is supposed to pick this up and report it, but it does not function on the scanner. It can't, because there is no means of the transmission to tell the computer what the temp of my transmission is. I had to put a sensor and external gauge on it.

Anyway, I've got a number of things working for real time readouts so I went ahead and kept it. The pic below is what I keep it on when driving. RPM's, Voltage, Engine Coolant Temp and Engine Oil Temp. I can also bring up a number of other things, although I question the accuracy on some of it.

161207_0000.jpg #ad

< Previous Thread | Next Thread >